Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back From Brimfield's Massive Antique Market!

Yesterday I woke up at the crack of dawn to get ready to go to a massive, thrice-yearly antique market in Brimfield Massachusetts. When I say massive, I mean massive. I was there for 4 hours and only got about a third of a way through. There are hundreds and hundreds of booths, tents, carpets, and backs of vans in some cases at this event that's touted as the "largest, seasonal outdoor event of it's kind in North America." People come from all over the country to spend their money there.

I've been going ever since I was about 8 years old, at least once, usually twice, and a couple times three times a year. Of course, when I was little I hated it. The walking, the heat, the general boringness of following my parents around and not being able to look at the few things there I was interested in at the time. As I got older, as was allowed to wander this massive event on my own I grew to love it and look forward to it, especially if I had some spare cash and a fully charged camera to bring!

These pictures really don't capture just how huge the market is, but it captures a few of my favorite finds there.

I loved the pink tent! Everything in it was really cheap too, nearly everything was $5. I couldn't stay in it too long though because the sun shining through the neon pink tent made everything inside it ultra pink and glowy!






This print is supposed to be a woman delighted with her boudoir dolls, but it looks more like a woman shrieking at tiny dead people.






The three pictures above are all from the same tent, a tent that seemed to be completely filled with medical dummies and erotic books from the '70s. I'm not going to lie, I thought it was the most awesome tent at the antique market.
















I loved this tent as well, as I'm sure you can tell by all the pictures I took of it. All of the dummies of various sizes wearing antique clothes was so striking. I didn't notice those boater hats until I was resizing the pictures! I wish I did notice them while I was actually taking the picture because I probably would have claimed one for myself.


Every year there is an area set up with dozens of statues and fountains, it looks so cool! This was only a small part of that area.




The two above pictures are from another tent that I like to browse every year, it's a tent specializing in religious art, icons, and antique relics. I can never stay too long in there though because the prices, as you can imagine, are incredibly high. That little blue box in the middle, yeah, there were more than two zero's in the price.








The three pictures above are from another great tent, it's so pink and girly and French. It's also set up like a fabulous pink boudoir.


Cute little girl figurines. I didn't even notice the nurse in the middle until I was resizing! I can't believe I didn't see that either when I was staring right at it.






These are probably going to give me nightmares for a while.


I was on the lookout for an antique bonnet and found this one, but it's a small child's bonnet so I decided I didn't need it. Until, of course, I was resizing the image and noticed the price tag said it was only 14.95! Of course I would have bought it if I knew it was that cheap!






Oh look another boater hat I didn't even notice until I was resizing! I was too intrigued by the sassy lady-head planter to notice, an object I have always just skimmed over in the past but was completely enamored with this year.




What did I buy this year? I'll save that for tomorrow's post! Here's a hint though: A whole lot of useless stuff! Some years I come home with nothing but a couple antique photos, this year I found a ton of really good deals and neat things, so stay tuned for that post.

1 comment:

  1. This market looks amazing! It's like a fairy land! :D I'd love to go to market like this, but I'm usually working sundays and antoque markets in my area are usually featured on these days :(
    I'm so jelaous! :D

    ReplyDelete