When I first became interested in making my own bonnets I stumbled across quite a few tutorials on how to make a bonnet out of a straw hat. While I liked how easy that seemed, I really wanted my bonnets to be a bit more sturdy and made the old-fashioned way. Plus, I didn't like the idea that under the fabric was a straw base, it just didn't seem authentic enough, I guess. But recently I have become a bit more interested in Classic Lolita and so I had been toying with the idea of making a straw bonnet without all the fabric covering it up. Just a simple bonnet that really focuses on the country look of the straw.
Yesterday I finally got a hold of some reasonable priced straw hats, ones I wouldn't feel bad about chopping up and potentially having to throw away. I realized I didn't have any bias tape, so I used used some ribbon I had laying around. This lead to a kind of puffy looking trim, but it doesn't bother me so much and I'll be keeping this one for myself.
Instead of overloading it with roses and lace I made one simple corsage out of very realistic roses that look a bit like dried roses. I have had a few people assume this kind of fake rose was a real dried rose! There are a few tiny dusty pink roses in the corsage as well, but they are kind of hiding in these photos. I chose red because a few of my newest dresses are red, and if I am hoping the straw bonnet makes them look a little more Classic.
If you're interested in attempting your own straw bonnet, here is a good tutorial for doing just that. This is the one I first found that eventually inspired me to make this one.
Since I have two more straw hats left, and these are fun to make, I might be selling them in my Etsy shop someday. They will be much, much cheaper than my normal bonnets. Probably around 30 dollars since materials cost is only a bit over $10. I am now a little interested in making a straw bonnet from braided straw now! But that's something completely new I would have to learn.